Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Power of the Purse

Thanks to one of my sweet friends, Teri Carnes, I was able to attend the Power of the Purse luncheon this year. It was an amazing gathering of women from all over our community. The purses were so beautiful and well received. Laurie and I drooled over several of them. But the speaker...now that took the cake. Laura Bush was the most powerful speaker I have ever heard. Her stories of children around the world literally brought me to tears. She is an amazing advocate and I feel so fortunate to have been able to hear her speak.

The entire event was centered around early education and the profits from the event were donated to Dolly Parton's Imagination Library. If you have a child under 5 you should sign them up for this program. Shad did it for Emma and we received so many great books that I know we would never have chosen. It is a wonderful cause for childhood literacy.

The guest of honor was this amazing woman. I am so sad I can't remember her name but what an inspiration her life has been. She was a WASP I had no idea that these women even existed. How brave she was.

Thanks again Terri for a great opportunity!



No comments: